Updated December 2020.
You just finished a hard workout that you feel good about, and you want to give your body what it needs to replace your losses while building and maintaining lean muscle. You hit the grocery store postworkout and find an array of promising beverages at your fingertips: Powerade, Gatorade, Protein Powders, All Sport, to name a few.
Before allowing stress and indecision to take control, it dawns on you that not too long ago you consulted with an Amwell dietitian for this very reason. You walk past towards the back of the store and hit the dairy aisle. You reach in the cooler for a low-fat jug of chocolate milk. You can now head home satisfied in knowing that you have made an economically and nutritionally sound decision!
Here’s why chocolate milk works:
- It has double the carbohydrate and protein content of most sports drinks, making it perfect for replenishing tired muscles.
- Its high water content replaces fluid lost as sweat, preventing dehydration.
- It contains the nutritional bonus of calcium and includes only a little sodium and sugar, additives that help recovering athletes retain water and regain energy.
- Simply 8 ounces will provide an adequate amount of nutrients necessary for recovery. Don’t forget to meet the rest of your dietary needs through nutrient-dense choices!
Ready to make the switch? Consider the following before your next workout:
- Chocolate milk is most useful to a cyclist, swimmer, or long-distance runner.
- Sports that stress high endurance levels and sustained movement warrant this nutrient-packed beverage.
- Competing athletes need high levels of calories, carbs, and protein to sustain the desired level of performance.
- If you aren’t exercising for more than 90 minutes, you may not need chocolate milk. Water and a well-balanced diet will work!
If you want to make the most of your workout, consult with an Amwell nutritionist or registered dietitian to help give you the dietary suggestions to reach your goals!