“There have been countless times in the past where I’ve suffered through having an infection until it became so bad I needed immediate treatment, all because I wanted to avoid having to go into a doctor’s office… Thank goodness for Amwell. This service truly makes a difference in our population’s overall health and well-being.”
The use of online care has grown exponentially in the last handful of years and continues to now, especially as many people turn to telehealth in response to the current COVID-19 pandemic. Whether it’s for urgent care or behavioral health, patients like the one quoted above are seeking out telehealth for healthcare from home. But what exactly makes it so popular? There are many reasons and convenience is an especially important factor. Here’s a quick breakdown of online care and how it can benefit you.
What it is: Online care connects you to healthcare and resources through any device.
Why it matters: Online care has transformed the way we interact with healthcare providers. It can provide the medical support we need to take charge of our health in many (but not all) circumstances.
When to use it: The reasons for using online care can vary from person to person. Some might use it for a quick follow-up doctor visit during a lunch break. Others find it convenient when they feel too sick to leave home or they live far away from an urgent care center. Online care can be particularly useful in the following situations:
- When you need a follow-up visit: This could mean asking a quick question or touching base about an ongoing health matter. Either way, seeing a provider online for a follow-up visit helps you avoid the unnecessary commute to the doctor’s office.
- When you’re feeling too sick to leave home: Getting over a cold or bug is draining enough, why go through the extra effort of traveling to the doctor’s office and sitting in the waiting room if you don’t have to? Unless there are new concerns that you’d like to discuss with your doctor, you can likely skip the in-person visit, see a doctor from home, and rest up instead.
- When the doctor’s office is far from home: Finding time in your busy schedule to see a doctor can be really difficult, especially if you live far away from your provider. Online care gives you access to medical advice without the added time of driving to and from the doctor’s office.
- When you have a quick question about a non-emergency related health concern: You might be confused about how to take a medication or have questions about non-urgent symptoms. Regardless of the issue, online care enables you to get answers clearly and easily.
- When you’re not sure if you need to be seen in person: Whether you are lying in bed with a rising fever or just burned yourself cooking, it can be difficult to know if you need to go to a medical center in person. Online providers can help answer your questions in non-emergency situations. Important note: If you are having symptoms that represent an emergency or urgent medical issue, call 911 right away or go to the nearest emergency department.
Interested in trying online care? Start using the Amwell app!