Does salt affect high blood pressure?
Yes, but it’s not necessarily the salt, but rather the chemical component sodium. Sodium can disrupt the balance of fluid in the body. To “flush” excess salt out of your system, water gets drawn from surrounding tissues. The higher volume of liquid results in the heart working harder to pump blood – high blood pressure.
Other questions related to Hypertension
- Can anxiety cause high blood pressure?
- What are foods to avoid with high blood pressure?
- Can telemedicine improve a patient's ability to self-manage hypertension?
- What is a bridge prescription?
- Does alcohol affect high blood pressure?
- What is the difference between diastolic and systolic blood pressure numbers and what do they mean?
- Can I get a prescription for hypertension medication online?
- How can a telemedicine visit be better than an in-person visit?
- What if I don't have current vitals before my visit?
- What does high blood pressure feel like?