What are some recommended stretches or exercises for back pain?
Different stretches and exercises are recommended for upper and lower back pain. Exercises to aid in the management of lower back pain include:
- Bridges: Lie on your back with feet on the floor and knees pointing to the sky. Lift your hips up and hold position for five seconds before releasing.
- Lower back rotation: Begin lying on your back with your feet on the floor and knees pointing to the sky. Roll knees to one side of the body, hold for 10 seconds, repeat on the other side.
- Abdominal contractions: Begin lying on your back with your feet on the floor and knees pointing to the sky, contract abs and lift chest to the sky. Hold for five seconds.
Exercises to aid in the management of upper back pain include:
- Arm reach: Begin on your hands (in line to shoulders) and knees (in line with hips). Stretch one arm in front of you, hold for five seconds, release. Repeat on other side.
- Butterfly: Place palms on shoulders with elbows pointing out. Slowly bring elbows together in front of body until you feel a stretch. Hold for five seconds.
- Shoulder roll: Roll shoulders forward, slowly, making large circles. Reverse directions.