Frequently Asked Questions

When should you seek medical care for a headache?

Make sure you speak to a doctor if your headache:

  • Feels different than usual
  • Is aggravated by exertion, coughing, bending over, or sexual activity
  • Is associated with another symptom, including nausea, fever, or recent head trauma

Also be sure to monitor whether the headache is getting worse, requires more than the recommended dose of over-the-counter medications to deal with the pain, or is interfering with work and quality of life. If you have a sudden, debilitating headache, seek immediate, in-person medical care at an emergency room or call 911.

Other questions related to Headache

Related Content

Now is the time to try telemedicine!

Amwell can help you feel better faster. Register now for access to our online doctors 24 hours a day.