Learn more about our new psychiatry model for collaborative care.
Our Psychiatry services model is one of collaborative care, which means we care for you in coordination with your primary care provider. Another term for this is Integrated Care. We’ve chosen this integrated approach because it provides the best quality of care and most improves your overall health.
Studies repeatedly show that your overall health can be most improved by coordinating your mental and physical health care. Also, we realize that sometimes controlled substances are necessary to treat your condition, and we want you to receive the optimal treatment rather than offering you an alternative or second choice medication. As part of our collaborative approach, we may also recommend nutrition and/or talk therapy services to help you achieve optimal wellness.
Reasons for our collaborative approach:
- Safety - Due to a federal regulation, The Ryan Haight Act of 2008, telehealth providers are unable to prescribe controlled substances to patients in their homes. When appropriate, we will provide recommendations to your PCP and request they prescribe these medications for you to help avoid duplication, excessive use, and medication conflicts.
- Wellness – Studies show that your overall health can be most improved by coordinating your mental and physical health care. We also provide talk therapy to help you achieve optimal wellness.
- Efficiency – Health care costs and inconveniences rise due to poor communication between providers. To manage your conditions responsibly, laboratory and diagnostic testing are occasionally needed for accurate diagnosis or ongoing monitoring. These recommendations will be made to your PCP, again avoiding duplication of tests and saving you time and money.
Your next steps:
- Call your primary care provider’s office and obtain their office fax number. You will need to enter your doctor’s fax number on our platform to enable us to coordinate your care.
- Inform the office that you will be getting your psychiatric care online and let them know that your psychiatrist will send a visit note outlining your treatment plan. Advocate for yourself by explaining that you would like your PCP to work with your psychiatric provider, who will be available to discuss your care with them anytime.
How to get started using collaborative care
Call your primary care provider and inform them you will be getting your psychiatric care online. Find out if your doctor will be willing to consider ordering any testing and/or prescribing any controlled substances we may recommend. You will need to obtain and enter your doctor's fax number on our platform to enable us to coordinate your care.
*These may be about making a referral to another specialist (e.g. sleep specialist, neurologist, or rheumatologist), prescribing a controlled substance, or ordering diagnostic or monitoring labs or testing, and will always be accompanied by our experts' clinical rationale.