Cognitive Behavioral Therapy is a common form of psychotherapy that can effectively treat many mental health concerns including anxiety, depression, trauma, and more.
CBT is guided by three key principles:
- Psychological challenges are partially based on unhelpful ways of thinking.
- Psychological challenges are partially based on learned patterns of unhelpful behavior.
- Those experiencing psychological challenges can learn how to cope with them, which provides relief and allows them to be more effective in their lives.
Doing CBT therapy online
There is a vast amount of research and data proving CBT’s effectiveness. During a typical CBT session, the therapist and individual work together to identify any patterns in thinking or behavior that may be causing the individual psychological discomfort. The best course of action will differ for each individual, as effective CBT is practiced on a case-by-case basis. Some common methods used include:
- Increasing self-confidence
- Gaining a better understanding of other people’s behavior and motivations
- Noticing the fears rather than avoiding them
- Role-playing to prepare for potentially uncomfortable interactions or scenarios
- Learning how to calm the mind and relax the body