Is online grief counseling effective?
Talking with a mental health professional about loss and grieving can be helpful in many ways. Some mental health professionals specialize in the grieving and bereavement process which can be useful when coping with a traumatic or complicated loss. Since grieving is a normal part of the human condition, most therapists are equipped and skilled to help their clients navigate their individual grieving process.
Some people may experience “complicated grief” during which they feel stuck in persistent, unrelenting despair and functional impairment that warrants seeking help from a mental health professional. If someone has the following symptoms in a prolonged manner they may be experiencing what’s known as Persistent Complex Bereavement Disorder:
- Intense sadness and emotional pain
- Feelings of emptiness and hopelessness
- Yearning to be reunited with the deceased
- Preoccupation with the deceased or with the circumstances of the death
- Difficulty engaging in happy memories of the lost person
- Avoidance of reminders of the deceased
- A reduced sense of identity
- Detachment and isolation from surviving friends and family
- Lack of desire to pursue personal interests or plans
The symptoms listed above are consistent with and mimic a Major Depressive Disorder which may require clinical intervention in order for the healthy grieving process to resume.