amwell logo white with registered tm amwell logo blue with registered tm

10 Things to Know About Online Doctor Visits

Updated July 2020 So you’ve heard about this thing called telehealth, or maybe you’ve even tried telehealth for yourself; but what do you really know about...
10 Things to Know About Online Doctor Visits
Written By: Cassandra Aviles on March 23, 2017

Updated July 2020

So you’ve heard about this thing called telehealth, or maybe you’ve even tried telehealth for yourself; but what do you really know about online doctor visits? It’s an easy, convenient way to see a doctor immediately, but is it safe? When should it be used? Can you get prescriptions? We've got you covered – here are the top 10 things to know about online doctor visits on Amwell.

1) It’s safe: Amwell is a private, secure, HIPAA-compliant tool that allows you to safely and confidentially meet with a doctor. Our security and privacy program is built to the highest of standards and has passed extensive federal security audits, so you can rest assured knowing your personal medical information is in safe hands.

2) It’s convenient: Doctors on Amwell are available seven days a week, 24 hours a day to see patients online or by phone. And with an average wait time of fewer than three minutes, you won’t have to wait days—or weeks—to see a doctor.

3) It’s effective: With Amwell, 85% of patient’s issues are resolved during a telehealth visit. The remaining 15% are patients who require further examination or additional treatment.

4) Patients love it: Amwell users rate their experiences with our doctors an average of 4.8 out of 5 stars. The proof is in the pudding — our users not only value the service but are also satisfied with their experiences!

5) Our doctors are experienced: Physicians who practice on Amwell are licensed and US board-certified. When choosing a doctor on Amwell, you’ll notice that each doctor’s profile shows both their professional education and years of experience. On average, doctors on Amwell have 15 years of medical experience. Not only that, but our doctors are specially trained and certified to conduct telehealth visits.

6) Telehealth can treat common conditions: Some of the most common conditions that are treated and diagnosed during an online visit include, but are not limited to sinus infections, UTIs, pink eye, flu, allergies, and cold sores.

7) Telehealth is not for emergencies: While telehealth can treat common conditions, it is not a substitute for in-person care when it comes to serious or life-threatening conditions, suicidality, or substance abuse. If you are experiencing severe symptoms or have a serious medical concern, it’s important to go to the emergency room or call 911. Check out our Can You Avoid a Trip to the Emergency Room? blog post for reference.

8) Medication can be prescribed via telehealth: Doctors on Amwell can prescribe medication when they deem it medically appropriate. However, there are some restrictions. Amwell doctors can only prescribe certain medications online and telehealth encounters are not always eligible for a prescription as some states do not allow prescribing by telehealth.

9) Amwell doctors can provide medical forms: Whether you need a sick slip, or back to work/school documents, doctors on Amwell can provide this as medically appropriate.

10) Amwell is not just for doctor’s visits: Amwell doesn’t stop with access to doctors - we also provide access to therapists, psychiatrists, nutritionists, and lactation consultants, too. If you are interested in nutrition counseling, have issues with weight loss, diet, or an eating disorder, registered dieticians and nutritionists can help. They are also experienced at assisting with the management of chronic conditions, such as renal disease, heart disease, cancer, and diabetes. For mental health concerns, such as depression or anxiety, therapists are available on Amwell to give you the mental boost you need.