It’s normal to have some questions before your first online doctor’s visit. How does it work? Will a doctor see me right away? Can all conditions be treated online? This guide will help you understand what you can expect for your first online doctor’s visit.
What is an online doctor’s visit?
On Amwell, you can have online doctor’s visits for many health services. These include therapy visits, nutrition counseling, dermatology, women’s health, pediatrics, physical therapy, and more. Just like an in-person visit, you meet with a board-certified doctor. On average, doctors on Amwell have 15 years of experience! The only difference is that you’re speaking to a doctor or healthcare professional through a phone, computer, or tablet. Online visits are especially helpful for cold and flu, sinus infections, congestion, UTIs, and other medical concerns. You can have a visit today!
How do I have a visit?
To have a visit:
- Open the Amwell app on your smartphone, tablet, or computer. (Not registered? You can register here. >>)
- Choose a practice. For urgent care, choose “Urgent Care” (or go to “View All Services” and choose “Children’s Medical” if the patient is a child).
- Select your provider. Read about Amwell providers and view their qualifications by tapping their name or photo. Here you can also see if any patients are waiting ahead of you.
- Enter your health history, symptoms, and concerns. There’s also an option to upload a photo in case you have a rash or other concern you’d like to ask a provider about.
- Have a visit and feel better! There’s no need to schedule an urgent care appointment. Simply tap into care when you need it. On average, patients wait 10 minutes or fewer to see a doctor.
What’s an online urgent care visit like?
Once your visit begins, you’ll see your selected doctor through video, or hear them through audio if you’re having a phone call visit. The doctor will ask you how you’re feeling and about your symptoms or concerns. They may ask you for assistance because they’re not there with you, such as a request to take your temperature, feel your neck for swollen lymph nodes, or open your mouth for a sore throat. After your exam, the doctor will give you a diagnosis or suggest a treatment plan to help manage your symptoms.
Online doctors are able to prescribe most, but not all, medications. If you need medicine, a doctor will submit a prescription to a pharmacy near you. In addition, if your provider determines you need in-person medical care, they may recommend you to have a follow-up visit at a healthcare facility.
Here are common conditions that Amwell’s doctors provide care for:
Common questions about online urgent care:
- Can I get a prescription?
Yes, prescriptions are available as appropriate.
- How long is an online care visit?
Most urgent care visits last about 10 minutes.
- Do I have to wait?
On average, patients wait about 10 minutes or less to see a provider once they’ve requested a visit.
Benefits of online doctor visits:
- Convenience: Get care from home or on the go. You can talk to a doctor anytime, 24/7.
- Affordability: Urgent care visits cost $79 (and often less with insurance).
- Privacy and security: Amwell online doctor visits are private, secure, and HIPAA-compliant.
- Time: Skip the waiting room and see a doctor in minutes online.
Why try Amwell online care?
Talk to a doctor to get quick, quality care for many common concerns without having to leave home. There is a 94% patient satisfaction rate for patients who were “very” or “extremely” satisfied with Amwell telehealth services and an average 4.7 rating for patient overall satisfaction of providers on Amwell.
Hear About Amwell From Patients Like You:
“This makes such a difference to me! I used to put off having to go to the doctors for infections because of the hassle it was and during a time when I wasn’t feeling well to begin with. Amwell was so easy to use, so fast, and the experience with the doctor was great.”
– App user
“I was super hesitant to try this service but didn’t feel like sitting in Urgent Care for hours for my particular issue. The intake process was surprisingly super fast! And the app is very user-friendly. Once I completed my medical history and input my insurance information, I spoke with the doctor in less than 5 minutes! And this was around 2:30! Mid-day!!! When it’s usually impossible to get in and out of an urgent care facility. The whole process took less than 30 minutes!
– App user
“Quick and easy — way better than bringing my sick daughter to an urgent care center.”
– App user
Now that you’ve learned more about online doctor visits, are you ready for your first visit? See a doctor in minutes, learn more about the urgent care service, or check out our frequently asked questions.